Smoked Chex Mix on the Hamrforge Beast
Recipe: Smoked Chex Mix
Every year around Christmas time, my family makes a few trays of Chex mix to snack on. Running one or two trays at a time is tedious and time consuming, so last year I ran a couple trays through my kettle grill as well. I threw in some wood chunks for an extra smokey flavor boost and they came out great. This year, I ran 14 18×26″ trays through my Hamrforge Beast Smoker and we were done in just a few hours! The flavor is unbeatable and we didn’t have to spend the whole day doing it.
- 2 cups wheat Chex
- 2 cups corn Chex
- 2 cups rice Chex
- 2 cups nuts (We do a mix of pecans, cashews, almonds, macadamias, brazil nuts, and peanuts)
- 2 large pretzel sticks, broken
- 3 cups of pretzels (we use sticks, checkers, and twists)
- 1 cup Cheez-Its
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
Hamrforge Products We Recommend
- Fire up your smoker or grill (or oven). 250°F is the target temperature.
- Measure out all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Melt the stick of butter in a microwave safe container.
- Stir Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder and onion powder into melted butter.
- Pour butter mixture over the dry ingredients a little bit at a time, carefully stirring the mix until everything looks coated evenly.
- Spread mix evenly on a jelly roll pan.
- Place pan in smoker, grill, or oven. Stir every 20 minutes or so until the mix is dry and browned up a bit. 40-60 minutes should do it.
*Repeat steps 2-7 until you’ve filled your preferred cooking appliance or run out of ingredients. It’s a really easy and very forgiving recipe. Don’t sweat the details and go wild with the experiments. Swapping out Worcestershire sauce for hot sauce is an easy substitute for those who like a little heat in their mix. Enjoy, and have a Merry Christmas!